Identity theft prevention is important, and the crime is becoming increasingly more common as our world becomes more and more networked.
Here are some tips to protect yourself from being a victim.
- Never give your social security number or confidential information to anyone who calls you.
- Don’t carry your social security number with you – it’s best to memorize your number.
- Shred or tear up receipts, old bank statements, and unused credit card offers.
- Do not mail bill payments from your mailbox. Thieves may use the check data or alter the check, or steal your credit card information.
- Review your credit rating annually by ordering a free credit report once a year. Only use www.annualcreditreport.com as this is the only service authorized by the three nationwide credit reporting agencies for the purpose of monitoring your credit file.
- Do not carry any login or PIN information with you – it is best to memorize it.
- Report suspected fraud immediately.
Surely there are many more ways to protect yourself, but these suggestions are some key ways to avoid being a victim.